Corporate Social Responsibility
At the Herd Group, Corporate Social Responsibility is an integral part of our business and a motivating factor when making decisions and activities on society and the environment. Consequently we will make transparent ethical behavioural decisions, that:
- Manage our business risks and behaving in a transparent manner
- Produce a high quality & safe product that our customers can trust
- Contributes to sustainable development, including the health and the welfare of society and our employees, contractors and visitors
- Responsible for managing and avoiding environmental impact including green house emissions
- Forming partnerships with local communities groups and charitable organisations
- Is compliant with applicable law and consistent with international norms of behaviour, and
- Work with key stakeholders to promote best practice when it comes to animal welfare, transport and processing
“The Herd Group, our people, are at the core of everything we do. Keeping them safe, healthy and happy is a high priority for our business.”
We are committed in creating a safe work environment; ensure that all regulatory and legal compliance in all facets of our business. We strive to create an organisation that is employer of choice.
At the Herd Group we are an equal opportunity and a multi-cultural employer and offer our employees personal development and professional growth to meet their goals as well as committed to produce a high quality product for our customers.
We are proud of our loyal staff and consider them an extension to our family. We are committed to foster a culture that celebrates difference in our employees and consider our enthusiastic and dynamic team the back bone of everything we do. It is important that our employees feel safe, valued, respected and has an opportunity to share their ideas within our business.
Quality Management System
Delivering a culture of safety and quality processes
When working with us, it’s crucial for our customers to have confidence that they will receive the utmost quality and safest products. This begins with our Quality Management System (QMS), which meticulously oversees the monitoring, verification, and documentation of our Food Safety Plan in accordance in meeting regulatory standards and customer compliance, including codex Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) principles.
Our QMS systematically tracks various processes, ensuring the implementation of appropriate controls to not only meet but surpass all industry standards. Through continous improvement we consistently update our QMS, continually assessing the efficacy of our procedures. Through the amalgamation of these procedures, adherence to good hygiene practices, and ongoing training for our food handlers, we guarantee that we consistently uphold the highest standards of food safety for our customers, every day.
Our Approach to Food Safety and Quality Assurance
We concentrate on three essential areas to ensure the effectiveness of our processes in managing food safety and quality assurance.
As a large export meat processing facility, the Herd Group has an environmental policy in place that reflects our commitment to conduct business in a manner that respects and protects the environment. We are continually striving towards a more efficient use of resources. We acknowledge that our employees and the community expect responsible environmental practice by the Herd Group. Specifically we are committed to:
- Complying with environmental legislation, regulations, standards and codes of practice relevant to the particular business as the absolute minimum requirement in each of the communities in which we operate
- Conducting our operations to minimise and, wherever practicable, to eliminate negative environmental impacts
- Continuous improvement of our environmental performance including regular review and the setting of environmental objectives and targets
- Conducting business with suppliers and contractors who have a commitment to a responsible environmental policy
We work closely with government authorities to identify opportunities for reducing water consumption. We have also partnered with manufacturer located in Shepparton where our waste products are processed and turned into high quality fertilizer.
M.C. Herd is also focused on reducing our energy consumption and have made a significant financial investment installing 1.3 Mega Watt solar system across our vacant land thus reducing our energy consumption levels.
We will continue to explore innovative environmental projects to further achieve our goals.
Reducing our Carbon Footprint
In mid-2018 M.C. Herd Pty Ltd signed a contract to install a 1,356kw Solar System which consists of 4,110 ground mounted panels. The system was fully operational in December 2018.
At the time this instillation was one of the largest private company solar systems in Victoria.
The system generates approximately 1,900 MWh per year.
Total Savings is Equivalent of
M.C. Herd is committed to ensuring that all our animals are treated humanely. As part of our policy, M.C. Herd has an approved voluntary arrangement with the Australian Livestock Processing Industry Animal Welfare Certification System (AAWCS) to ensure that the highest standards for the care and welfare of all livestock are adhered to at all times.
We are regularly audited by the controlling authorities, Department of Agriculture and Water Resources (DAWR) and Aus-Meat to ensure that we meet the above standard requirements.We will continually strive to improve and promote the importance of animal welfare handling practices including providing appropriate training to our employees for the care and handling of livestock and maintain a preferred supplier list for livestock carriers and transporters.